Friday, April 11, 2014

Part 3: Highchair & Cakes!!

I knew ever since Evan was born I wanted to find an antique high chair to paint for her first birthday and then keep in our dining room. I read a blog when she was still a newborn about how to paint the highchair, but that the hardest part for this mama was locating the chair to paint. I came across one on a Facebook swap page and immediately bought it for $40. I think I even purchased it back in the fall. Of course, it remained in our attic until the day before E's party! My parents were in town and my dad sanded, painted, and sealed the highchair which became my favorite piece of the party! It's special because it's something we get to keep forever and not just a decoration that gets put or thrown away. So here it is........

I made a ribbon banner and attached it to the tray with a little bit of hot glue. After the party I was able to scrape the hot glue off without messing up my dad's hard work. I also ordered the banner from Etsy! I really need to invest in a circuit machine as much as I purchase these things from sellers on Etsy. SO here is the finished product......


THE CAKES!!!!!!! Well, this was a bit of a challenge. My cousin was very gracious and made Evan's big birthday cake. She lives almost 45 mins away from me and on the way back to the house, let's just say we had a bit of a catastrophe! The top layer did not make it :( However, I was in party planning mode and no need to freak out! On the way home I immediately went to Kroger for white icing and Target for a cake topper. I planned to use only the bottom layer as her big cake but I had to make some adjustments. From this catastrophe I found a new love. I highly recommend this icing. This stuff is amazing!!! I purchased the elephant at Target and made a tutu out of tulle. I think it turned out pretty cute! So here is the final product of her big cake.......






Finally, is her smash cake! My  mom actually made this one! I love the fact that she made E's smash cake because I remember my mom making our cakes growing up. She is not a baker but the cakes were always filled with so much love ;-) This is what I wanted for E! I purchased the elephant off of amazon and made a tutu for it as well. I originally was only planning to have an elephant on this cake but sometimes plans change!




So there it is, the highchair and cakes! I hope you are enjoying reading about my daughter's birthday. I just LOVE this stuff!!





No comments:

Post a Comment